"Open Educational Resources (OER) in higher education have the potential to triple in use as primary courseware over the next five years, from 4 percent to 12 percent, according to a survey of more than 500 faculty by Cengage Learning. In addition, the use of OER for supplemental learning materials may nearly quadruple in size, from 5 percent to 19 percent."
- According to research conducted by the U.S. Public Interest Research Group, 7 out of 10 college students have reported not buying a required textbook at least once.
- The average cost of a new print textbook is $128.
- A college student will spend $1,300 on average for textbooks.
- Since 1978 the cost of textbooks has increased 812% or 3.2 times the rate of inflation. Since it began in 2011, 35 faculty have participated in the Textbook Affordability Project.
- If every U.S. college student was using just one open textbook, the total savings to students would be approximately $1,000,000,000 (that's a billion).