Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
- 16th-20th Century Maps of Africa
- Northwestern University
- Africa Focus : Sights and Sounds of a Continent
- Began life as The Africana Digitization Project at the University of Wisconsin-Madison; support is now ongoing. The site contains more than 3,000 slides, 500 photographs, and 50 hours of sounds from 45 different countries.
- Africa South of the Sahara: Selected Internet Resources
- Choice Highly Recommended, 2006; Stanford University
- African Studies Internet Resources
- Choice Outstanding site 2004; Columbia University
- African Studies Center
- Choice Highly Recommended, 2005; U. Pennsylvania see the Resources menu on the top menu bar
- formerly Index on Africa
- The American Museum of Natural History Congo Expedition, 1909-1915
- The Ancient Egypt Site
- actively maintained and a labor of love since 1997
- Art of Being Tuareg: Sahara Nomads in a Modern World
- Smithsonian online exhibit
- Digital Egypt for Universities
- Choice Highly Recommended, 2007
- Giza Archives Project
- Choice Outstanding site, 2006; Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
- Grass Roots: African Origins of an American Art
- Smithsonian; National Museum of African Art; Organized by the Museum for African Art, New York, and presented online by the Smithsonian National Museum of African Art, Grass Roots is a history of 300 years of African basket making, brought by African people to the American South. This web resource includes an 86-page teachers' guide with activities for students from grades 3-12.
- Organizations and Initiatives Supporting African Publishing and Book Development
- formerly called The Electronic African Bookworm; supported by Hans Zell Publishing
- Reading Women Writers and African Literatures
- Choice Outstanding site, 2006; Specializes in Francophone African literature South of the Sahara
- ETANA: Electronic Tools and Ancient Near Eastern Archives
- Funded by the Mellow Foundation and the National Science Foundation, this cooperative effort aims to develop a "comprehensive internet site for the study of the Ancient Near East (ANE)"; website significantly updated 2011
- The Story of Africa
- The Story of Africa tells the history of the continent from an African perspective; BBC World Service.
Go to the Library Collection