Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Asia and Oceania
- Australian Dictionary of Biography
- Choice Highly Recommended site
- The Cornell Modern Indonesia Collection
- In the 1950s, a group of scholars in Cornell University's Southeast Asia Program initiated the Cornell Modern Indonesia Project (CMIP). The intent of the program was to make contemporary analyses of Indonesia available to scholars and students. The titles were digitized by the Cornell University Library; the titles in this series are divided into four categories: Interim Reports, Translations, Monographs, and Bibliographies.
- Dictionary of New Zealand Biography
- Choice Outstanding site
- Digital South Asia Library
- Center for Research Libraries & the University of Chicago
- East Asian Collection
- University of Wisconsin - Madison; a large collection of images that document early 20th century China including the Sino-Japanese Conflict (1937-1945).
- Islamic Heritage Project
- The Open Collections Program; Harvard University Libraries; with the generous support of Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal the libraries have been able to digitize hundreds of Islamic manuscripts, maps, and published texts from the institution's vast holdings. All told, the project currently includes over 145,000 pages dating from the 13th to the 20th centuries CE.
- Japan Center for Asian Historical Records
- Choice Highly Recommended Site, 2006; Established in 2001, the Japan Center for Asian Historical Records (JACAR) provides Internet access to an important collection of primary materials on Japan's modern foreign relations in East Asia, broadly defined to include Southeast Asia, Pacific Islands, and Oceania.
- The Mongols in World History
- Lavishly illustrated, this Web site is prepared by the Asia for Educators Project at Columbia University; the intent of the project is to create online curriculum materials on Asia to serve faculty and students in world history, culture, geography, art, and literature at the undergraduate and high school level.
- Pew Global Attitudes Project
- The Pew Research Center’s Global Attitudes Project conducts public opinion surveys around the world on a broad array of subjects ranging from people’s assessments of their own lives to their views about the current state of the world and important issues of the day. More than 270,000 interviews in 57 countries have been conducted as part of the project’s work.
- Red Color-News Soldier
- This website pays homage to the work of Li Zhengsheng, who took it upon himself to document the Cultural Revolution in China through photographs. This fine online exhibit includes some of the thousands of images Zhengsheng took from 1964 to 1976.
- PAIR: Portal to Asian Internet Resources
- University of Wisconsin
- The Tibetan & Himalayan Digital Library
- Choice Outstanding site
- The Vietnam Center and Archive
- Choice Outstanding site; Texas Tech Univ.
- A Visual Sourcebook of Chinese Civilization
- Choice Highly Recommended site; The creator of this Web site is Patricia Buckley Ebrey, who is also the author of numerous books on China, including the Cambridge Illustrated History of China and Women and the Family in Chinese History; an educational site which provides thoughtful, open-ended questions for students and well-designed guides for teachers.
- The Wars for Viet Nam: 1945-1975
- Vassar College
- WWW Virtual Library: Pacific Studies
Cultural and Intellectual History
- Ancient India
- An online exhibit from the British Museum, 2003; the site is specifically aimed at middle schoolers and teachers, but all ages will enjoy exploring the site.
- Art of the First Cities: The Third Millennium B.C. From the Mediterranean to the Indus
- This Web site presents almost two dozen examples of Third Millennium B.C. art from the region called the "cradle of civilization," an area stretching from the Aegean and Eastern Mediterranean across Iran and Central Asia to the Indus Valley. The site is divided into eight thematic sections: Masterpieces, Cities, The Ruler, The Divine World, Death and Burial, Writing, Seals and Sealing, Clothing and Personal Adornment.
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History : The Greater Ottoman Empire, 1600-1800
- Islamic Art, Later Period
- Heilbrunn Tiimeline of Art History : Art and Nationalism in Twentieth-Century Turkey
- Islamic Art, Later Period
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History : Islamic Art in the Early Period (ca. 500-ca 1000 A.D.)
- Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History : Islamic Art in the Medieval Period (ca. 1000-ca 1400 A.D.)
- In the Beginning: Bibles Before the Year 1000
- This delightful interactive online exhibit was created by staff members at the Freer & Sackler Galleries Smithsonian Institution, and was created by guest curator, Michelle P. Brown. The exhibit brings together (with some nice audio commentary) a number of important early Hebrew and Christian bibles. The sections of the site tell the stories of the earliest printed Bibles and also how readings from early Bibles brought the Old and New Testaments to life in a very vivid fashion. The exhibit site is rounded out by some very fine extras, such as a bibliography, a chronology, and so on.
This is a fairly new designation that has evolved since the Soviet Union left the area in about 1991.
- Afghanistan there is considerable argument as to whether Afghanistan is part of Southeast Asia or part of Central Asia
East Asia - Modern
- Hong Kong
- Ryukyu Islands
- Russian Far East— extreme eastern Russia between Lake Baikal and the Pacific Ocean
- The Maldives
- Sri Lanka
- British Indian Ocean Territory
Usually, although not always, defined as the countries that are geographically south of China, east of India, and north of Australia.
Mainland Southeast Asia
- Myanmar (Burma)
- Peninsular Malaysia
Maritime Southeast Asia
- Malay Archipelago
- East Malaysia
- East Timor
- the Philippines
- Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan
Go to the Library Collection